Grappenhall Heys Walled Garden was created by a wealthy Warrington banker, Thomas Parr, around 1830 when he built a new house and estate for his family. The land nearest the house was designated as parkland to give a suitable setting to the mansion and the outer areas were farm land.
The landscape that existed at that time was incorporated into the estate and many of the woodlands, ponds and avenues that formed the parkland then still remain in place today. As a whole these features form a significant record of a landscape designed in the manner of a gentry country estate. It appears, from historical records, that the estate was at its height from 1875 – 1899 and this is considered to be the most significant period for the design and productivity of the garden.